Monday, October 15, 2007

Wingnuts across the country

When I moved up here I totally thought I would be escaping from all the crazy wingnuttery that plagues the South. I figured everyone here would be pro choice and all that good stuff. For the most part everyone is wonderfully open and accepting and well...liberal. Until today. I went into Planned Parenthood today to see if they needed any volunteer work done. I drove up to the clinic and past three older people, two men and a woman. They were holding signs up. I figured at first they were supporting Planned Parenthood, because what else is there to do? Well, unfortunately I was wrong. While there was no yelling and screaming, they all had anti-choice signs and gave me a menacing look when I walked in. I did hold myself back and not say anything or flick them off (which is what I wanted to do). The thing that bothers me is that these people don't take the time to really understand reproductive rights and how important they are. Planned Parenthood doesn't just give out abortions like candy, they do so many other wonderful things. They promote sexual health, which is essential in these times. I wanted to ask the old man holding up a picture of the Virgin Mary if he knew that there have been 83 documented deaths since Nicaragua criminalized abortions. All of them preventable. I highly doubt that he did.

There are so many things I love about living up North. But I guess I have to get used to those crazies being everywhere.

No comments: