Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Before I started at the job I didn't really know how I would handle twenty something "at risk" teenagers. My experience consisted of working with kids from upper middle/high class high schools and at risk fifth graders, both worlds away from the population I work with now. I must say I got into my groove pretty quick and I do my job well, fantastic in fact. I'm good, but I'm also firm and strict. There are some things that are constantly coming out of my mouth when I have kids in the car with me. "No" is the first. Somewhere down the line nobody learned that asking once and being told no doesn't really mean no, it means to ask the same question 438920 more times. This is a daily issue. There are also the many versions of "Thats inappropriate" If I had a nickel for every time I had to get onto someone for being inappropriate I would be halfway to Maui by now. Along with "thats inappropriate" is "I don't want to see it/hear it" Don't come into my office and start talking about weed, please. But there are two things that have caught me off guard. Things that never would have occurred to me to say to kids before. "You got your period, woohoo!!" is the first. Seriously? I mean these kids shouldn't be having sex in the first place. Then there is, "Keep it in English please." If you think logically about a couple of middle school boys sitting in my car speaking in Spanish, chances are they are not talking about something I would want to hear. Second, I find it rude. Purposefully excluding one or two people in the car from conversation is rude. They still haven't caught onto that one. Everyone is getting better about being inappropriate, well, most of them just change it over into Spanish. Oh kids, they are wonderful!

No comments: